An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Photo Information

Chief Petty Officer Michael P. Larson reels in a fish during a deep sea fishing trip aboard the Carolina Princess Sept. 12, 2014. The staff noncommissioned officers from Headquarters and Headquarters Squadron at Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point, N.C., took a day to build camaraderie within the squadron. Larson is the lead chief petty officer for H&HS Naval Supply and is a native of Honolulu.

Photo by Cpl. J. R. Heins

Make mission, go fishin’

22 Sep 2014 | Cpl. J. R. Heins 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing

MOREHEAD CITY, N.C. - The waves of the Atlantic Ocean were no match for the Marines of Headquarters and Headquarters Squadron as they stepped aboard the Carolina Princess, a deep sea fishing vessel off the coast of Morehead City, N.C., Sept. 12.

The staff noncommissioned officers from Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point spent the day 50 miles out at sea battling rocky waves and various fish as a part of Operation Adrenaline Rush.

Operation Adrenaline Rush was implemented as a tool to help Marines and Sailors combat stress through resilience training and activities, according to Master Gunnery Sgt. Shawn J. Rubeck, the SNCO in charge of Cherry Point’s Installation Personnel Administration Center. The fishing trip was scheduled as a way to allow Marines to relieve some stress while bringing all the SNCOs together.

“The SNCOs of H&HS are spread pretty far across the air station and rarely get the opportunity to get together,” said Rubeck, a Port St. Lucie, Fla., native. “That’s why we thought it would be a great idea to get everyone away from the air station for a chance to build some esprit de corps and camaraderie with our peers.”

According to Rubeck, the outcome of the trip was unpredictable due to the rocky tides and high waves rolling in with a coming storm.

“It was a pretty rocky trip coming out,” said Rubeck. “Luckily the weather calmed down for us once we got out there.”

After a three hour journey to a seemingly abandoned section of the ocean, the ship dropped anchor and the Marines tried their luck at the first stop.

As soon as “first blood” touched down on the deck of the Princess in the form of a bright red Vermilion Snapper the Marines put their game faces on.

“Whenever you get a group of Marines together everything turns into a competition,” said Rubeck. “There was some trash-talking on who could catch the most and biggest fish, but it was all in good fun.”

This was the first deep sea fishing experience for many of the Marines aboard the vessel.

“I have been on boats before but they were much larger,” said Master Sgt. Juan J. Carrasco, the SNCOIC of IPAC’s separations section. “This was the first time I have done anything like this, but it was a great way to get out of the office and relieve a bit of stress.”

Carrasco embraced the friendly competition between the Marines, reeling in 13 fish during the trip.

“The fishing went well,” said Carrasco, a native of the San Fernando Valley, Calif. “The captain must have been taking us to spots where he knew there were fish, because all we had to do is put the bait on the hook, throw it down and the fish were hooking.”

According to Carrasco, he also used this trip as an opportunity to get to know the other SNCOs of the squadron.

“The trip was a great idea,” said Carrasco. “It was a great time. I was able get to know some other Marines and it also gave me some ideas on doing something similar with my own Marines.”

2nd Marine Aircraft Wing