Commissioned on 31 December, 1955, Marine Wing Headquarters Group 2 was garrisoned at Marine Corps Air Station, Cherry Point, North Carolina with the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing. At that time, the unit was comprised of Headquarters and Headquarters Squadron 2, Marine Air Support Squadron 1, and Marine Air Control Squadrons 7 and 8.
In May 1966, MWSG-2 was decommissioned. Through further reorganization in August 1967, MWSG-2 was reactivated and assumed the responsibilities of supporting the Marine Wing Headquarters. On 1 July 1971, MWSG-2 was re-designated to the current title of Marine Wing Headquarters Squadron 2. Honors are: National Defense Service Streamer with one Bronze Star.