MARINE CORPS AIR STATION CHERRY POINY, N.C. --
Multiple squadrons and individual Marines from 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing captured significant awards recently from a highly recognized national aviation association.
2nd MAW Marines and squadrons received 10 awards in the Marine Corps Aviation Association’s annual awards competition, which was announced on March 10.
The MCAA sponsors the annual contest to recognize excellence in aviation and aviation support across Marine Corps’ Aviation Community.
2nd MAW took five unit and five individual award categories during the 2014 awards program.
- The Commandant’s Aviation Trophy for outstanding performance of a Marine squadron or battalion was awarded to Marine Medium Tiltrotor Squadron 261, Marine Corps Air Station New River, N.C.
- The James E. Hatch Award for the Marine Wing Support Squadron of the Year was awarded to MWSS-274, MCAS Cherry Point, N.C.
- The Royal N. Moore Award for the Electronic Warfare Squadron of the Year was awarded to Marine Tactical Electronic Warfare Squadron 3, Cherry Point.
- The Henry Wildfang Award for the Aerial Refueler Transport Squadron of the Year was awarded to VMGR-252, Cherry Point.
- The Keith B. McCutcheon Award for Marine Heavy Helicopter Squadron of the Year was awarded to HMH-366, Cherry Point.
- The Kenneth A. Innis Award for the Command and Control Marine of the Year was awarded to Master Sgt. Herbert A. Smith, Marine Air Control Squadron 2, Cherry Point.
- The Jack. W. Demmond Award for Aviation Ground Marine of the Year was awarded to Sgt. Robert B. Plumb, VMM-261, New River.
- The Paul G. Vess Award for the Avionics Marine of the Year was awarded to Gunnery Sgt. Brian D. Hoover, Marine Fighter Attack Training Squadron 501, MCAS Beaufort, S.C.
- The Danny L. Radish Award for the Enlisted Aircrewman of the Year was awarded to Sgt. Nathaniel T. Lubinus, HMH-366, Cherry Point.
- The Robert Guy Robinson Award for Marine Naval Flight Officer of the Year was awarded to Capt. Anthony J. Cesaro, VMAQ-4, Cherry Point.
“The individuals and squadrons recognized by the MCAA represent a culture of operational excellence across the entire wing,” said Maj. Gen. Robert F. Hedelund, commanding general of 2nd MAW. “The squadrons and Marines at Cherry Point, New River, and Beaufort remain committed to providing the World’s finest aviation support that II Marine Expeditionary Force expects and deserves. These awards stand as a testament to the professionalism, mission focus, and overall readiness of 2nd MAW.”
Winners of the 2014 awards will be recognized at the 44th annual MCAA reunion and awards dinner in San Diego, May 14-16.